Here I am going to give some hints about two methods for studying.
- 3R's method
- SQ3R method
- Read your book, paragraph by paragraph. Read and re-read until you can answer the questions "which you framed?"
- Once you are able to describe and then you want to retain that learning by underlining, making notes in the margin or making notes in your notebook.
- Cover up your notes or printed pages and recite aloud. Remember! If you can't say it now, you won't be able to say it tomorrow in class or write it in a week on an exam. So you still have a chance, try and try again until you can say it.
It gives you the opportunity for an overview. It enables you to get an idea of what the book is about ahead of actually reading it.
- Question phase
Spend some time for thinking about it, you want to develop some purposeful questions to ask. Frame questions about the book or the chapter on the basis of your survey.
It is the stage that many people would consider the first or even the only stage in studying a book. Skim the whole text and then go through more thoroughly afterwards.
Tips to concentrate while studying
No matter, what you are doing? Focus on the task at hand and eliminate distraction.
- We all have the ability to concentrate but we need practice to improve it.
- Keep your worries away from your mind and have control in studies.
- Avoid your cell phone or telephone and get a dedicated space, chair, table and lighting for your study.
- Change the subject in every one to two hours for variety.
- Take regular breaks and give yourself a reward when you have completed a task.
- Gently bring your attention back to where you want it and focus on subject with questions, summarizing and reading.
- Do not constantly judge yourself that you don't have the ability to reach the goal. Think that you are on the road and still more distance to travel.
- Keep separate time to think about your worries and other activity which distracts you while studying.
- Study the most difficult courses when you are so brisk. It will help you to improve your concentration.
- When your mind wanders about a past situation, keep your eyes closed and just think of that situation for a minute. Recapture that experience immediately and go to study.
I hope that now you can start your study phase very effectively. For further study tips, read the upcoming posts.